viernes, 24 de noviembre de 2017


Gustav Klimt's life, his figurative works and his landscapes along with his painting and architecture, applied arts, design and the fashion of the Vienna Secession of the Late 1800s-Early 1900s: these are all the absolute protagonists of a totally multisensory excursus of images, sounds, music and sensations at MUDEC in Milan from July 26th, 2017 to January 7th, 2018 that portray the pictorial, cultural and social universe in which the Austrian symbolist painter Klimt lived, worked and was much esteemed.

This extraordinary multimedia exhibition aims to offer the visitor a new way of appreciating Klimt’s artworks through the ever-expanding potential of exciting innovative technologies. In one distinct ‘experience-room’ the visitor will be astounded by the interactive immersion seamlessly involving all the available space; from the walls to the ceiling to the floor, the images of the artist’s artworks become a single flow of dreams, of fluid and dematerialized forms in the evocative motifs of Klimt's art, from the first to the last paintings.

Seven hundred oeuvres, for a complete overview of the artist's production, works that would have otherwise been impossible to admire in a single exhibition scenario. A symbolic, enigmatic and sensual universe skilfully reproduced with exceptional visual impact thanks to the state-of-the-art Matrix X-Dimension system, designed exclusively for this video installation; it utilizes 30 laser projectors that transmit more than 40 million pixels over the mega screens, ensuring a definition greater than Full HD.
Alongside Klimt's art, visitors will also be able to admire vintage photographs of the artist's life and 3D reconstructions of Vienna in the early 1900s, with iconic locations, customs and the fashions of a European capital in an age of cultural ferment, comprising its innovative architecture such as the Secession Building in Vienna featuring its magnificent Beethoven frieze. This is the socio-cultural context in which Klimt lived and nurtured his creativity, an essential key to understanding the author’s poetics.

The music of Strauss, Mozart, Wagner, Lehár, Beethoven, Bach, Orff and Webern will accompany the visitor with an intriguing soundtrack to corroborate the important influence music had on the work of this great artist. Last but not least, the cultural experience will also present a didactic introductive area fitted with multimedia educational touch screen tables for an immersive virtual reality experience inside the most famous of Gustav Klimt’s masterpieces.


During his brief and turbulent life Modigliani developed a unique and instantly recognisable pictorial style. Though meeting little success during their time, his emotionally intense portraits and seductive nudes are now among the best-loved paintings of the 20th century.

Modigliani’s nudes are a highlight of the exhibition – with 12 nudes on display, this is the largest group ever reunited in the UK. These sensuous works proved controversial when they were first shown in 1917, leading police to censor his only ever solo exhibition on the grounds of indecency.

You will also discover his lesser-known but radical and thought-provoking sculptures, as well as his portraits of his friends, lovers and supporters, including Pablo Picasso, Constantin Brancusi and his partner Jeanne Hébuterne.

Thanks to a pioneering partnership with HTC Vive, the exhibition also transports visitors to the heart of early 20th century Paris using the latest virtual reality technology.

Modigliani VR Experience: The Ochre Atelier

The experience is a recreation of Modigliani’s final studio, which uses the actual studio space as a template.


From 16 June 2017, the Manege of the Small Hermitage will be the setting for the exhibition “Nefertari and the Valley of the Queens. From the Museo Egizio, Turin” that has been organized by the State Hermitage and the Museo Egizio – the Egyptian Museum – in Turin with the support of the Lavazza company.
A separate entrance for the exhibition visitors will be provided on Tuesday and Saturdays from 18.15 till 21.00 through the Small Hermitage, from Shuvalovsky Proezd (37 Millionnaya Street). The entry ticket is 200 RUB for all visitors.

The exhibition is taking place within the framework of the Hermitage–Italy Foundation projects through the agency of Villaggio Globale International.

The Museo Egizio is known for having one of the most important collections of Egyptian antiquities outside of Egypt itself. The display is made up of five sections and includes 255 artefacts and photographs taken in the field that make it possible for visitors to picture the opening of the tomb of Queen Nefertari.

The formation of the collection of the Museo Egizio in Turin was the result of two events: the acquisition of the first Drovetti in 1824 by Charles Felix, Duke of Savoy and King of Sardinia, and the excavations conducted by the museum’s director, Ernesto Schiaparelli, in the early 20th century.

The collection assembled by Bernardino Michele Maria Drovetti was the source of most of the largest objects (statues and sarcophagi), as well as a large number of stelas, grave goods and an extremely rich range of papyruses, mainly from the region of Thebes.

Schiaparelli worked to expand the museum’s stocks with the aim of turning it into one of the most respected Egyptian collections in the world. He acquired some 20,000 artefacts, initially from antiquaries in Cairo, and then from excavations in various parts of Egypt. From 1903 to 1929 he sent off archaeological expeditions led by members of his staff to various places in the Nile Valley, concentrating on sites that made it possible to fill chronological and typological gaps in the Turin collection. The activities of the Italian Archaeological Mission, headed by Schiaparelli, in 1903–05 represent an important stage in the history of the exploration of the Valley of the Queens.

The “Valley of the Queens” is a dried-up river mouth on the west bank at Thebes that was used for burials of members of the royal family and the Ancient Egyptian rulers’ entourage at the time of the New Kingdom (1550–1069 BC). Around 100 tombs were carved out there, mainly for queens and princes of the Ramesside period (19th and 20th dynasties, 1292–1077 BC). The tombs take the form of a succession of rectangular rooms leading to the burial chamber, where the body of the queen or prince was interred in a stone sarcophagus. The rich pictorial decoration on the walls of these tombs illustrates some of the stages in the deceased’s journey to eternal life and meeting with the gods.

 Scholarly exploration of this important necropolis began in 1826 with the work done by the traveller and antiquarian Robert Hay. The second scholar to investigate the rock tombs of the necropolis was John Gardner Wilkinson, one of the British fathers of nascent Egyptology. We owe a systematic scientific study of the Valley of the Queens to the Franco-Tuscan expedition of 1828–29 led by Jean-François Champollion and Ippolito Rosellini. Notable excavations were conducted at the necropolis at different times by Karl Richard Lepsius (1842) and Heinrich Karl Brugsch (1854).

The results of the excavations in the Valley of the Queens (1903–05) and at Deir el-Medina (1905−08) turned the Turin museum into one of the finest collections of Theban materials and one of the most important centres for the study of Egyptian culture in the New Kingdom and the first millennium BC. Besides the discovery of the tomb of Queen Nefertari and the clearance of the tombs (previously known, but long hidden beneath rubble) of Queen Iset, the wife of Ramesses III, Queens Tyti and Sitre, and Prince Pareherwenemef, more than 80 other tombs and shafts were found. The important discoveries included previously unknown tombs of princes and dignitaries and large family burials for which older tombs had been re-used.

The basis of the exhibition “Nefertari and the Valley of the Queens. From the Museo Egizio, Turin” is Theban materials acquired by Drovetti and Schiaparelli. The key figure of the exhibition, Queen Nefertari, is presented in the context of the Valley of the Queens, where Schiaparelli discovered her burial place.

The display begins with a section devoted to Nefertari, the Great Royal Spouse of Ramesses II who was considered the living embodiment of the goddess Hathor, the wife of the sun-god. Monumental statues from ancient Thebes illustrate the functions of the king, who was not just ruler of the country, but also the intermediary between the people and the gods, and of his consort. Many items in this part of the exhibition illustrate the fusion of Nefertari’s image with a number of goddesses.

Particularly noteworthy are the items found in Queen Nefertari’s burial chamber and a model of the tomb that was made immediately after its discovery in 1904. Nefertari’s grave goods on show at the exhibition include fragments of the lid of the sarcophagus smashed by tomb-robbers, amulets, vessels, sandals woven from palm leaves that the Queen may have worn, and, of course, 34 wooden ushabti  finished with black paint that bear her name.

Elements of the decoration of the palace, ritual and everyday objects that belonged to noble ladies and were used at the royal court – statues and reliefs, toilet articles, cosmetic items and jewellery – paint a picture of court life and of the position that a woman occupied in Ancient Egypt in Nefertari’s time – the 19th Dynasty and the first 30 years of Ramesses II’s reign.

Some rare finds featured in the exhibition – a variety of decorative items, fragments of musical instruments, a wooden headrest to support the base of the skull when sleeping, vessels and bowls – give an idea of conditions in which the royal family and the nobility lived.

A separate part of the display is devoted to the labourers and craftsmen who were engaged in cutting out and decorating the majestic rock tombs of the kings and queens of Ancient Egypt in the New Kingdom. Finds from the settlement inhabited by craftsmen and artists in a hollow between the Theban mountains and the Qurnet Murai hill, at a site now known as Deir el-Medina, make up an important component of the Museo Egizio’s stocks. The daily existence and beliefs of the ordinary people of Ancient Egypt are covered in sections devoted to the labours, life and death of the craftsmen of Deir el-Medina.

The tombs created by the inhabitants of Deir el-Medina had a complicated fate. They were plundered, probably as early as the end of the New Kingdom, and some of them were used for later burials. For several centuries, the tombs of forgotten royal princes served as family vaults for the elite of Thebes. A number of sarcophagi found in the tombs of Khaemwaset and Seth-her-khopsef, two sons of Ramesses III (1198–1166 BC), that were used as burial vaults for a priestly family of the 25th Dynasty period (722–656 BC) complete the exhibition. Traces of fire on some of the sarcophagi may be related to plundering of the tombs. Christian monks are also known to have used ancient coffins as firewood.

The display is supplemented by richly illustrated funerary papyruses from the Drovetti collection that probably also come from the Theban necropolis. These papyruses are of the same age as the late sarcophagi and carry chapters from the Book of the Dead (a collection of utterances that enable the deceased to pass safely through the next world and unite with Osiris and the souls of the blessed) and the Amduat, an important funerary text that describes the nocturnal journey of the Sun and his victory over all the dangers. The deceased, identified with the Sun during this journey, overcomes his or her enemies and becomes immortal like the god Ra.

The exhibition curators are Andrei Olegovich Bolshakov, Doctor of Historical Sciences, Head of the Sector of the Ancient East in the State Hermitage’s Department of the East, and Andrei Nikolayevich Nikolayev, Deputy Head of Department of the East.


Gli scavi di Achille Vogliano nel Fayum. L’esposizione presenta le scoperte compiute negli anni Trenta del ‘900 da Achille Vogliano, papirologo e professore dell’Università di Milano, in Egitto. 

Le campagne di scavo da lui condotte grazie al supporto del Comune di Milano nel Fayum, hanno incrementato notevolmente la conoscenza di quest’area e arricchito la collezione milanese di diversi reperti provenienti dai siti di Tebtynis e Medînet Mâdi.

A Tebtynis sono stati rinvenuti principalmente oggetti di vita quotidiana di cui un nucleo consistente è stato donato al Comune di Milano e papiri,  oggi parte della collezione del Centro Papirologico dell’Università di Milano che in occasione dell’esposizione ne ha concesso in prestito alcuni esemplari; questi materiali ci restituiscono un’immagine vivida della vita di un villaggio egizio di età greco-romana. 

A Medînet Mâdi Vogliano scoprì  un importantissimo tempio di Medio Regno (XIX sec. a.C.) dedicato alla dea-cobra Renenutet e al dio-coccodrillo Sobek, ingrandito in epoca greco-romana come tempio dedicato ad Iside-Thermutis. I reperti, principalmente statue e stele che da questo sito Vogliano fece pervenire a Milano in parte come calchi sono notevoli per unicità, per lavorazione e per il loro significato storico-religioso. Si segnalano la statua del fondatore del tempio, il faraone Amenemhat III (ca. XIX sec. a.C.), alcune stele votive, statue (fra cui tre leoni accucciati e una testa regale di sfinge monumentale) e alcuni elementi architettonici. Tali materiali sono al momento ancora pressoché ignoti al pubblico, non essendo esposti nella collezione permanente.

Grazie al materiale di proprietà civica  proveniente dal tempio da lui ritrovato a Medînet Mâdi e dal villaggio di Tebtynis, la mostra si ripercorre l’evoluzione della cultura egizia nel periodo greco-romano, evidenziandone il carattere multietnico e la riuscita integrazione di culture diverse.

La mostra, che si avvale anche della documentazione fotografica degli scavi conservata presso la Civica Biblioteca Archeologica è frutto della collaborazione tra il Civico Museo Archeologico di Milano, il centro papirologico “Achille Vogliano” dell’Università Statale di Milano e la cattedra di Egittologia dell’Università di Pisa, che ha continuato l’indagine archeologica e la valorizzazione del sito di Medînet Mâdi iniziata da Vogliano.


29 septembre 2017 - 7 janvier 2018
Cabinet d'arts graphiques
Une centaine de dessins appartenant à l’Académie des Beaux-Arts de Düsseldorf montre la variété et la richesse de cette pratique dans différentes régions d’Italie aux XVe et XVIe siècles. Lors de cette période charnière qui voit l’essor de profonds changements socio-artistiques, le dessin sur papier devient un moyen d’étude et d’expression privilégié, tant pour la transmission de modèles anciens que pour l’élaboration d’idées. Conçu comme une nouvelle forme d’art indépendante, il acquiert également le statut d’œuvre d’art achevée. La collection de Düsseldorf – la plus ancienne de ce genre au nord des Alpes et sans exemple comparable en Suisse – illustre parfaitement ces différentes fonctions, grâce à des œuvres aux qualités techniques et artistiques exceptionnelles.


Edgar Degas
Danseuse assise
© RMN-Grand Palais (Musée d'Orsay) / Hervé Lewandowski

A l'occasion du centenaire de sa mort, le musée d'Orsay rend hommage à Edgar Degas (1834-1917) avec une exposition dont le fil conducteur est l'ouvrage méconnu de l’écrivain, poète et penseur Paul Valéry (1871-1945).

L'amitié de plus de vingt ans de Degas et de Valéry a, en effet, donné lieu à un texte publié aux éditions Vollard en 1937, Degas Danse Dessin. Tout à la fois intime et universel, il offre une évocation poétique et fragmentaire de la personnalité du peintre et de son art, et comme une méditation sur la création.

Dans l'exposition, documents figurés et documents d'archive donnent à voir ces hommes et leurs sociabilités. Les nombreux dessins du premier et les fameux carnets du second montrent l'importance de ces productions qui ont été, pour l'un et l'autre, le creuset de leur art.
 Les thèmes majeurs explorés dans Degas Danse Dessin sont évoqués en associant des extraits du texte de Valéry à des oeuvres graphiques, des peintures et des sculptures de Degas.

Cet écho entre texte et images invite à appréhender tour à tour la pratique de dessinateur de l'artiste, puis son attachement aux univers de la danse et de l'équitation, que Valéry lie à une même recherche du trait et du mouvement.


 ¡Estamos de aniversario! El próximo 23 de noviembre se inaugurará la 10ª edición del Festival de Cine Italiano de Madrid, la cita más esperada con el cine italiano contemporáneo. Cada año el Festival se enriquece para convertirse en un punto de encuentro para los amantes del cine. En las secciones a concurso (largometrajes, documentales y cortometrajes) se proyectarán como premieres en España las películas que han sido presentadas en los festivales internacionales del presente año como Cannes, Locarno, Venecia, Toronto, Roma y más.

Entre los largometrajes que compiten para el premio del público :  La Tenerezza de Gianni Amelio, Brutti & Cattivi de Cosimo Gómez, Equilibrio de Vincenzo Marra, la película de animación Gatta Cenerentola de Alessandro Rak, Ivan Cappiello, Marino Guarnieri e Davide Sansone.

Dos jurados españoles asignarán el premio al mejor cortometraje y al mejor documental. Entre los títulos seleccionados a concurso, se podrán ver los documentales Raffaello – il príncipe delle arti, Crazy for football, Funne: Le ragazze che sognavano il mare, Nessuno ci può giudicare y entre los cortometrajes A casa Mia, Piove, Granma, Mon Amon Amour, mon amí, Moby Dick.

Fuera de concurso se proyectará Finchè c’è Prosecco c’è speranza de Antonio Padovan, Spira Mirabilis de Massimo D’Anolfi y Martina Parenti   y Nona de Massimo Volta, un mediometraje low –budget basado en una historia de Stephen King que cobró para los derechos solo un dólar, siempre y cuando le gustara el tráiler.

En este año el Premio a Toda una Carrera irá a la documentalista Cecilia Mangini una de las figuras más significativas de la historia del cine italiano, imparable pionera de la fotografía y del cine del real, es autora de obras maestras como Ignoti alla Città, Stendalì y La canta delle marane, realizadas en colaboración con Pier Paolo Pasolini.

Además se otorgará el 2º Premio Solinas Italia - España al Mejor argumento cinematográfico inédito en el ámbito del  3º Foro de Co-Producción Italia-España que este año cuenta la colaboración de FIPCA.

En la sede del Instituto Italiano de Cultura tendrá lugar las actividades colaterales:  la 2ª SEMANA DE LA COCINA ITALIANA EN EL MUNDO y VIVERE ALL’ ITALIANA  - en  el plan de promoción integrada del Ministerio italiano de Asuntos Exteriores y de la Cooperación Internacional - donde se proyectarán en V.O. la película The Lack de los video-artistas Masbedo y Pina Bausch a Roma de Simone Bruscia y Graziano Graziani.

El 10º Festival de Cine Italiano de Madrid está organizado por el Instituto Italiano de Cultura de Madrid, bajo los auspicios de la Embajada de Italia en Madrid, con el patrocinio de ENDESA y la colaboración de ILLY.

Todas las proyecciones en V.O.S.E. tendrán lugar en los Cines Renoir Princesa de Madrid (c/ Princesa 3). Las entradas son gratuitas (hasta completar aforo) y se pueden recoger cada día en la taquilla del cine a partir de las 16:00 h.

Las actividades colaterales se desarrollarán en el Instituto Italiano di Cultura (calle Mayor, 86 – Madrid) Entrada libre hasta completar el aforo.


Claire Voon
Comparison of Canaan dogs and dog depictions in the rock art of Shuwaymis, which show dogs with a spot and a chest coloration (all photos courtesy Guagnin et al)

A new study of prehistoric rock art reveals how hunters in the Arabian Peninsula pursued prey with dogs over 8,000 years ago — and even controlled their packs with leashes. The engravings represent the earliest evidence for dogs on the Arabian Peninsula and might even stand as the earliest depictions of canines yet, as Science first reported. Found at two sites a few years ago — at a wadi at Shuwaymis and at the desert oasis of Jubbah — the stylized canines predate previous evidence for dogs in the region by over 2,000 years. As for the carved leashes, those simple lines are the earliest known evidence of leads in prehistory.

Composite photograph of a panel at Shuwaymis with damaged in the center with hunters and dogs

The analysis, led by Maria Guagnin, an archaeologist at the Max Planck Institute for the Science of Human History in Jena, was published this month in the Journal of Anthropological Archaeology. Researchers counted around 400 dogs in total across both sites, and even note that the good boys share similar features to the modern-day Canaan dog.

“All of the dogs display characteristic pricked ears, short snouts, deeply-angled chests, and a curled tail, appearing to be of the same ‘type,'” the scientists write, noting that although “the depicted dogs are reminiscent of the modern Canaan dog, it remains unclear if they were brought to the Arabian Peninsula from the Levant or represent an independent domestication of dogs from Arabian wolves.”

Notably, some dogs are even carved in a manner that gives them coat markings such as chest colorations and spots. They are also depicted as individual creatures, in various stances and tail positions; the artists even differentiated between male and female canines.

“This may indicate the artists were documenting the general range of variation in local dogs or depicting individual dogs known to them,” the researchers write…….

jueves, 23 de noviembre de 2017


See the UK’s first major exhibition of artists’ responses to war and conflict since the terrorist attacks on 11 September 2001. Age of Terror: Art since 9/11 features more than 40 British and international artists, including Ai Weiwei, Grayson Perry, Gerhard Richter, Jenny Holzer, Mona Hatoum, Alfredo Jaar, Coco Fusco and Jake & Dinos Chapman.
The complex issues surrounding the global response to 9/11, the nature of modern warfare and the continuing state of emergency in which we find ourselves have become compelling subject matter for contemporary artists.

Artists’ unique ways of communicating through their art provide different levels of understanding. The stories they tell, whether first or second-hand, come from alternative viewpoints not always reflected in the mainstream media, often challenge our perceptions.

Through 50 works of art including film, sculpture, painting, installations, photography and prints, many of which are exhibited publicly in the UK for the first time, this exhibition highlights the crucial role of artists in representing contemporary conflict.
The exhibition explores four key themes: artists’ direct or immediate responses to the events of 9/11, issues of state surveillance and security, our complex relationship with firearms, bombs and drones and the destruction caused by conflict on landscape, architecture and people.

One of the highlights of the exhibition is Iván Navarro’s The Twin Towers (2011), is exhibited in the UK for the first time. Navarro’s neon light installations recede deep within themselves, creating the illusion of an infinite concave space………………


En la Hispania romana, en torno al siglo I después de Cristo, una persona podía recorrer en carro entre 28 y 35 kilómetros en un día. A partir de este cálculo, de la configuración de la trama de las calzadas, de los restos arqueológicos y epigráficos (inscripciones hechas en materiales duros, como lápidas), los especialistas Julio Mangas, Sandra Azcárraga y Gabriela Märtens han propuesto en un reciente estudio la ubicación de las cabeceras de ciudades que ocuparon la actual región madrileña en torno a aquella época (entre los siglos primero antes y después de Cristo). Estas cabeceras eran los centros administrativos a través de los cuales Roma controlaba sus territorios, a los que los habitantes de los distintos núcleos de población de los alrededores tenían que desplazarse (presumiblemente, sin tener que perder más de un día en el camino) para resolver trámites básicos como inscribirse en el censo o pagar los impuestos. Así, la Comunidad de Madrid de hace unos 2.000 años tendría al menos cinco de esos centros de referencia para distintas zonas: la cabecera de Complutum estaría en lo que hoy es Alcalá de Henares; la de Titulcia en torno a la localidad que ahora lleva ese mismo nombre; la de Mantua, en Villamanta; Miaccum, en algún punto entre Collado Villalba y San Lorenzo de El Escorial; y en Patones se ubicaría una última de nombre latino desconocido.

La región central de la península Ibérica no era ni muchos menos la zona más relevante de la Hispania romana, pero sí era “uno de los más importantes canales de comunicación entre las principales ciudades, Cesaraugusta [Zaragoza] y Augusta Emérita (Mérida)”, explica por teléfono una de las autoras del estudio, Sandra Azcárraga, colaboradora del Museo de Arqueología Regional de la Comunidad de Madrid. Se trataba, prosigue, de un área principalmente rural, pero “ampliamente poblada”.

Tras un primer momento en el que el invasor romano había conquistado la zona y se había asentado sobre los poblamientos de los carpetanos (el pueblo de origen celta que ocupaba el centro peninsular hasta entonces), entre el final de la época republicana y el principio del Imperio se comenzaron a conformar estas caput civitatis que concentraban las funciones administrativas, políticas, jurídicas y religiosas para los núcleos más pequeños de los alrededores, los cuales podían tener tamaños y configuraciones de lo más variado, desde villas a pequeñas aldeas, pasando por los establecimientos de hospedería en mitad de las calzadas… Algunas de las cabeceras se habrían levantado sobre asentamientos anteriores y otras se habrían fundado desde cero; y solo en algunos casos responderían a lo que se entiende tradicionalmente por una gran ciudad romana, con un núcleo importante de población. Por ejemplo, este es el caso de Complutum, la más importante de las cabeceras de ciudades del entorno en aquella época y la mejor documentada de la región junto a Titulcia.

Otras, sin embargo, responderían a lo que recientes avances en la investigación de la época han llamado civitates sine urbe, esto es, sin apenas espacios urbanos más allá de las construcciones oficiales. Este sería el caso de la cabecera de Mantua, en la actual Villamanta. De ella habrían dependido aldeas del entorno ubicadas entre Cenicientos, San Martín de Valdeiglesias, Brunete, Arroyomolinos y Móstoles, aseguran los especialistas.

Y continúan: “Por más que no venga reflejada en los itinerarios romanos, no parece haber duda sobre la existencia de una vía que cruzaba la sierra de Guadarrama por el puerto de la Fuenfría”. Con lo cual, la lógica apunta a otra cabecera de ciudad en el noreste de la región. En este caso, aunque “no hay todavía garantías plenas para sostener dónde se situaba”, apuntan con toda probabilidad al entorno de La Dehesa de la Oliva, en Patones, donde se han encontrado restos que demuestran el poblamiento del lugar desde el Paleolítico hasta la Edad Media. Incluido el periodo de conquista romana, aunque entre el siglo I y el V la población se habría desplazado a un llano cercano a la dehesa, donde se han documentado restos con signos constructivos de la época como el trazado ortogonal de las calles, canales de desagüe y algunos edificios, incluido uno que parece “destinado a albergar pequeñas tiendas”. Además, ese llano está en un punto estratégico para controlar las dos submesetas que separa la sierra y está junto a un antiguo vado del río Jarama.
Esto último resulta clave en la investigación, pues numerosas ciudades de aquella época se establecieron junto vados de ríos: Complutum, Titulcia, Toletum (Toledo), Albura, Caesarobrigra (Talavera de la Reina), Augustobriga (hoy, bajo el pantano de Valdecañas, en Cáceres). “Un buen vado permitía que las tierras del otro lado del río pudieran pertenecer a la ciudad y, por lo mismo, que la población de ambas márgenes acudiera con facilidad a resolver sus obligaciones político-administrativas, a los mercados y a las grandes festividades públicas. Disponer de un buen vado hacía posible incluso que una parte de la población de la ciudad se asentara al otro lado del río e incluso que allí se erigieran edificios públicos”, dice el estudio titulado Mantua y otras posibles cabeceras de ciudades romanas en el ámbito de la Comunidad de Madrid.

Por último, para el noroeste de la región, donde se han encontrado numerosos testimonios de la época en las localidades de Galapagar, Collado Villalba, Alpedrete, San Lorenzo del Escorial, Cercedilla, y, algo más lejos de allí, en Manzanares el Real y Colmenar Viejo, los expertos colocan la cabecera de Miaccum “en o cerca de Collado Villalba o de San Lorenzo de El Escorial”. Esta también tendría un pequeño núcleo urbano.

La ubicación de Miaccum en San Lorenzo de El Escorial cuadraría perfectamente con la existencia de un mutatio (una especie de posada junto a la calzada en “la que se realizaría el cambio de herrajes, el servicio de relevos”) junto a Collado Mediano, donde se encuentra el yacimiento de El Beneficio, según señalan en otro reciente estudio las profesoras Carmen Fernández (de la Autónoma de Madrid) y Mar Zarzalejos (UNED). En su trabajo, sobre los avances más recientes sobre la implantación romana en lo que hoy es la Comunidad de Madrid, ponen algunas precauciones a la propuesta de Mangas, Azcárraga y Märtens —“El registro arqueológico de la región madrileña ofrece datos muy limitados sobre centros urbanos de corte clásico y sobre las cabeceras de las civitates, cuya importancia solo podemos presuponer—, pero admiten que “este modelo organizativo parece verosímil en líneas generales”. Las dos profesoras destacan, en cualquier caso, la necesidad de seguir avanzando en la investigación arqueológica de esta propuesta y, en general, de todo un periodo, el del romano madrileño, al que pesar de los indudables avances, se le sigue otorgando “un papel secundario”, aseguran.

Los investigadores han ido abandonando poco a poco las teorías que colocaban la romana Mantua en la ciudad de Madrid o Miaccum, en las proximidades de la Casa de Campo. Sin embargo, Sandra Azcárraga y sus colegas plantean la posibilidad de que en la capital hubiera otra de esas caput civitatis, “al menos en los comienzos del Imperio”.

Se basan en el hallazgo del texto de un miliario (una pieza de piedra que marcaba las distancias en las calzadas) en la Puerta de Moros y otras inscripciones en los restos del antiguo poblado —“en los bancos del Manzanares, junto al Puente de los Franceses, en lienzos de la muralla, en las escaleras de una casa cercana a la muralla, en los escalones de Santa María de la Almudena, en la puerta de Guadalajara...”—, así como en la variedad de los restos arqueológicos: villas en la Casa de campo, Carabanchel y Vallecas, una necrópolis en Villaverde Bajo, un poblado carpetano en La Gavia.

Teniendo en cuenta todo ello, así como la cercanía a un vado del Manzanares y la distancia con las cabeceras de las ciudades romanas localizadas (Complutum, Titulcia, Mantua), escriben, “no es imposible, dice que el poblado romano de Madrid equivaliera a la cabecera de una civitas romana”. Como mínimo, aseguran, en Madrid había una pequeña aldea (vicum) que “cumplía a la vez las funciones de mansio [una especie de hospedería para los viajeros] en la vía que venía desde Toletum para dirigirse al norte”.


In loving tribute to Dmitri Hvorostovsky, one of the greatest and bravest artists to ever grace the Metropolitan Opera stage. Watch excerpts from some of his most memorable performances at the Met.


Donation Lydie Lachenal

La donation par Lydie Lachenal, fille de l’artiste, de dix tableaux de Léon Weissberg peints en 1942 permet de témoigner de sa force intacte de création dans les derniers mois de son existence, tout autant que de compléter le fonds d’œuvres de Weissberg conservé par le mahJ.
Né en Galicie, alors dans l’Empire austro-hongrois, Weissberg (Przeworsk, 1895 – Maïdanek, 1943) entre, en 1911, à l’école des Beaux-Arts de Vienne puis, en 1919, à l’académie royale de Peinture de Munich. À la fin de ses études, il entreprend plusieurs voyages, notamment en Hollande où il découvre l’œuvre de Rembrandt qui l’influencera longtemps. Il s’installe à Paris en 1923 et se lie d’amitié avec de nombreux peintres que l’on rattache au cercle de l’École de Paris, et notamment Sigmund Menkès (Lviv, 1896 – New York, 1986), Alfred Aberdam (Lviv, 1894 – Paris, 1963), Joachim Weingart (Drohobytch, 1895 – Auschwitz, 1942) avec lesquels il forme le « groupe des Quatre ». Il expose dès 1925 dans plusieurs salons et galeries parisiennes, notamment au salon d’Automne, à la galerie Zak ou encore la galerie Bonaparte. En 1935, il fonde l’association des Artistes juifs de Paris en réplique aux violences antisémites en Allemagne.
En 1942, Léon Weissberg est en résidence forcée à Entraygues-sur-Truyère, dans l’Aveyron, souhaitant demeurer proche de sa fille, alors collégienne à Rodez. L’artiste réside dans l’auberge du village, et survit grâce à un contrat avec le marchand Vladimir Raykis, qui vend certaines de ses œuvres aux États-Unis. Les tableaux, qu’il parvient à produire dans ces conditions précaires sur des matériaux de récupération (carton, fibrociment), frappent par la vivacité de leurs couleurs et des thèmes abordés : paysages riants, jeunes filles, mais aussi de nombreux clowns qui reviennent de façon obsédante. Double ambivalent de l’artiste, le clown semble répondre au besoin d’évasion de Weissberg, tout autant que souligner son profond désespoir.

En effet, cette année-là, il peint également Le vieux clown, connu comme l’unique autoportrait de sa production. Se représentant arborant une collerette de Pierrot, l’artiste nous adresse un regard meurtri et saisissant. Se faisant, il s’inscrit dans une histoire de l’art qu’il connaît parfaitement, celle qui, depuis le Pierrot de Jean-Antoine Watteau jusqu’aux clowns et acrobates de Pablo Picasso, associe la figure de l’artiste à la mélancolie affleurant derrière le personnage de l’amuseur public. « Le clown est le révélateur qui porte la condition humaine à l’amère conscience d’elle-même. », affirme Jean Starobinski dans son essai Portrait de l’artiste en saltimbanque (1970). Quelques mois plus tard, le 18 février 1943, deux gendarmes viennent arrêter Weissberg. Il est interné à Gurs, puis à Drancy. Le 6 mars 1943, il est déporté sans retour par le convoi n° 51 et assassiné à Maïdanek. Son atelier parisien sera pillé sous l’Occupation et ses tableaux dispersés.


Par Linh Pham
Le Musée de la Judenplatz, rend hommage à la grande dame de la cosmétique en présentant, pour la première fois, le patrimoine réuni par la marque qui porte son nom.
Qu’aurait pensé Helena Rubinstein, née Chaja Rubinstein en 1872, dans le quartier juif de Cracovie (ancienne Autriche-Hongrie), de l’élection de Sebastian Kurz ? La victoire du jeune conservateur aux législatives autrichiennes résonne étrangement au moment même où «Helena Rubinstein. Pionnière de la beauté» ouvre ses portes au musée juif de Vienne. L’exposition dévoile une partie des 6 000 visuels patrimoniaux et produits cosmétiques réunis par la marque Helena Rubinstein (aujourd’hui propriété du groupe L’Oréal) lors d’un ambitieux travail d’acquisition, de compilation et de numérisation entrepris il y a quelques années.

Première self-made-woman de l’histoire
Ces documents retracent ainsi le remarquable parcours de ce sémillant bout de femme (1,47 mètre), qui a conquis les continents (elle a vécu à Cracovie, Vienne, Melbourne, Londres, Paris, New York, Tel-Aviv), brisé les conventions et placé au cœur de sa mission l’émancipation des femmes. L’aînée d’une fratrie de huit filles avait un caractère bien trempé et une détermination à réussir : «Madame», comme on l’avait surnommée, ne deviendra pas seulement la reine de la beauté mais aussi la première self-made-woman de l’histoire.
Son récit commence dans le quartier sombre de Kazimierz. C’est ici que se forgent les traits du caractère impétueux de la jeune fille, obligée d’assister ses parents dans la dure vie du ghetto. Alors que ces derniers tentent de la marier à un vieux veuf fortuné, Helena Rubinstein comprend que son avenir auprès des siens ne lui réserve rien de bon. Elle rejoint, à Vienne, sa tante qui possède une boutique de fourrures, où elle se forme à la vente. En 1896, après un long voyage en bateau, elle pose ses valises en Australie. Hébergée à ­Coleraine chez un oncle qui la tue au travail, elle trouve son seul réconfort dans une douzaine de pots de crème remis par sa mère, créés par le Dr Lykusky, un pharmacien hongrois, ami de la famille.

Un premier laboratoire improvisé dans sa cuisine

 Une exposition Helena Rubinstein de toute beauté
Helena Rubinstein dans une robe Molyneux, dans les années 1930.
Archives Helena Rubinstein, Paris

Son teint lumineux et sans taches fait l’admiration des Australiennes à l’épiderme tanné par les ultraviolets. Prenant conscience de ce petit trésor qui va lui permettre de s’émanciper de son oncle, elle part à Melbourne et improvise un laboratoire dans sa cuisine, travaillant avec acharnement à reproduire la formule de ladite crème. Ce premier soin se nomme Valaze («don de Dieu» en hongrois) et connaît un succès tel que Helena doit faire appel au Dr Lykusky pour l’assister dans la confection des pots. Deux ans plus tard, en 1902, la Maison de beauté Valaze ouvre ses portes et, avec elle, le premier institut au monde !

Cette victoire ne suffit pas à Helena, qui souhaite s’imposer comme la plus grande spécialiste de la beauté. Afin d’enrichir ses connaissances en dermatologie et en chimie, elle quitte en 1905 l’Australie pour l’Europe, inaugure un institut à Londres, puis sa Clinique de beauté à Paris. Enfin, en 1914, fuyant la guerre, elle s’installe aux États-Unis, ouvrant des salons qui portent désormais son nom. Une concurrence sévère naît entre elle et une autre pionnière, Elizabeth Arden, qui restera jusqu’à sa mort sa plus grande rivale (un article de Paris Match des années 1950, exposé dans la seconde salle, relate cette guerre entre les deux femmes)……………..[20171121_NL_MADAMEBEAUTE]&een=58d1b8b141cf41443ada93a9618e1e81&seen=6&m_i=Y78%2BGbimJYDPStAovByMaedWe6kWtCRyHFeoR0jIGLHJ36kXcm2h7Fzh5Ms%2BAJGiZ7C4lR7u3FqmgXXX5z7XhFFETLwJtMkYY0