domingo, 22 de octubre de 2017

GEORGE MICHAEL DOC 'FREEDOM': 9 THINGS WE LEARNED

Revealing new film on late superstar singer highlights thrills and perils of music industry and widespread success

A revealing new documentary on George Michael highlights both the thrills and perils of massive success. Kypros/Getty


Though most listeners know George Michael as the man behind a series of indelible, million-selling pop hits – many of which still play on radio today – the new Showtime documentary Freedom looks to redefine the singer as a warrior in the never-ending battle against exploitative record contracts, an aficionado of soul music and an advocate for stars' privacy in a world that places cruel pressures on public figures.

Unusually for a posthumous film project, Michael was closely involved with Freedom, set to premiere on Showtime on October 21st. He worked on it until his sudden death on December 25th, 2016, serving as both a narrator and a co-director. In addition, a parade of musical veterans, including Nile Rodgers, Stevie Wonder and Mary J. Blige and supermodels such as Naomi Campbell and Kate Moss pay tribute to Michael's talents. Here are nine takeaways from the film.
1. Michael always wanted to be a star, even though he knew the demands of stardom could be debilitating.
The documentary establishes this central tension immediately as it races through Michael's career in the duo Wham! "I have a musical ability that as a teenager was powered by this desperate ambition to be famous and be loved and be respected and whatever," the singer says. "All I wanted at that time was success.

"If I was looking for happiness, this was the wrong road," he adds. "I still suffered terribly with insecurity about my looks. It goes back to a family background where conceit of any kind was considered an absolute sin, so no one was ever phased about the way they look."

But the allure of stardom won out – at least in the early Eighties. "I don't think there's any way I could've controlled my ego enough to stop me from exploring the possibility of being the biggest-selling artist in the world," Michael admits. "So I went with full gusto into creating a new character, one that would be resonant enough to stand up next to Madonna and [Michael] Jackson and Prince."

2. The quality of Michael's songs was dismissed because they came in cheerful, high-gloss packaging.
Michael values one aspect of artistry above all the others. "What do you hope the legacy attached to your name is?" an interviewer asks him late in Freedom. "Great songwriter," he replies.

He still bristles when considering the reception of his Eighties mega-hits. "I knew how to make these records and how to make them jump out of the radio," he says. "The idea that just because I was wearing ridiculous shorts would actually stop people from noticing that, when I look back, [is] still kind of stunning."


3. Michael's music did a reverse crossover, moving from pop stations to R&B stations and leading to accusations of cultural appropriation.
"You heard George Michael on urban stations right after Luther Vandross," Blige remembers. "His music broke through to everybody." In an incident that presaged modern critiques of the Grammy Awards and Sam Smith's no-show at the BET Awards in 2015, Michael later won two American Music Awards in the Soul/R&B category, which traditionally went to black singers who were kept out of competition in the pop categories. "The black male artist works very hard to get his due," Gladys Knight said in a 1990 interview. "… If [Bobby Brown] could compete in the same category George Michael competes in, that would be a whole 'nother thing."

"I won these two awards that were traditionally received by black artists, and I think there was a perception that it had gone too far," Michael says. "I see their point; I saw their point at the time. I just felt it was sad that white and black people recording together was dancing with the enemy.

"I don't think there's any attempt to steal black heritage in what I'm doing," he adds later. "All I think is happening is I'm trying to make good music."………




No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario