lunes, 5 de febrero de 2018

TREASURES OF THE MASTER DRAWINGS FAIR, FROM A SURPRISING PORTRAIT TO A STRANGE DREAMSCAPE

I have developed some affection for the enterprise, which is much more diffuse than other New York fairs.

Seph Rodney

Théodore Géricault, “Study of a Lion at Rest” (ca. 1820) at Stephen Ongpin Fine Art (image courtesy Stephen Ongpin Fine Art)

A few days ago I made my return visit to this year’s iteration of the annual Master Drawings in New York fair. I have developed some affection for the enterprise, which is much more diffuse than other New York fairs — to experience it one needs to perambulate among a selection of Upper East Side galleries beginning from a 54th Street location (technically on the west side) up to 93rd street. (Most, though, are clustered between 60th and 80th streets, so it can be easily walked in an afternoon.)


Flemish School (early 17th century) “Nocturnal Animals” (circa 1600) oil on panel, 16 by 22¼ inches at Mireille Mosler, Ltd. (image courtesy Mireille Mosler, Ltd.)

As with times previous, I found myself drawn to a diversity of work: illustrations, studies, human portraiture, animal portraiture, nudes, a couple of surreal landscapes, and inventive, post-war abstract works. I was surprised to find the latter, and when I admitted to Katherine Degn of Kraushaar Galleries that I admired her gallery the most of those I had seen that day, she said to me that their emphasis was more on the “drawing” than on the “masters.” This is where I saw a strange dreamscape by Dorothy Dehner titled “Balloon Ascension #3: Dithyrambe Played by the Ashraf” (1947), and a couple works that were not actually drawing: a print from a woodcut by John Storrs “Repose (Reclining Figure Under a Tree)” (ca. 1920); and a black-and-white, abstract work by William Kienbusch, “From the Porch, Cape Split #2” (1972), which might represent an old set of antenna that used to typically line the roofs of houses in the 1970
I paid less attention on this trip to works from the European Renaissance, with a couple of notable exceptions. Jacopo Pontormo’s work at Christopher Bishop Fine Art was quite impressive. Pontormo’s double-sided drawings represent four key scenes depicted in paintings that once occupied a loggia (a covered exterior gallery) at Villa Castello and which were lost after the Medici dynasty ended. According to Bishop, the drawings represent complex interconnected mythological narratives that dovetailed with the realpolitik intrigue of Cosimo I, who assumed the Ducal throne of Tuscany as a teenager to continue the reign of the Medici family after the assassination of a cousin, Alessandro……………….


https://hyperallergic.com/424010/master-drawings-fair-in-new-york-2018/

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario