jueves, 15 de septiembre de 2016

50 YEARS AT LINCOLN CENTER GOLDEN ANNIVERSARY THE NEW MET

On September 16, 1966, the Metropolitan Opera House opened in its new home in Lincoln Center with the world premiere of Samuel Barber’sAntony and Cleopatra. The next day, the front page of the New York Timesproclaimed the opening “a crescendo of splendor,” and a new era of theatrical possibility was born. This season, the Met celebrates 50 years in its Lincoln Center home with a season-long series of events, culminating in a special all-star gala performance on May 7, 2017. And on the web, we’ll be paying regular tribute to the house’s many architectural and artistic milestones of the past five decades. Check back often for new anniversary-related content, including a forthcoming interactive timeline.


The new Met opened at Lincoln Center in September 1966. But it took more than a decade to get to that memorable night. After the area around what is known as Lincoln Square was designated for renewal in 1955 and Lincoln Center for the Performing Arts was incorporated the following year, ground was finally broken for construction to begin on May 14, 1959—by President Eisenhower himself. “Jovial and vigorous,” the New York Times reported, “the President shoveled up freshly softened dirt to break ground for the $75,000,000 music, opera, theatre and dance project at West Sixty-Fourth Street and Broadway.” (After that, the paper adds, “he shoveled four times more for photographers.”) Leonard Bernstein conducted the New York Philharmonic in Aaron Copland’s Fanfare for the Common Man, and many other luminaries from politics and the arts attended the ceremony. Seen here is the building site in February 1960.



ARTICLES

Bing’s Building
Rudolf Bing, general manager of the Metropolitan Opera from 1950 to 1972, was one of the most influential figures in the history of the company. He was a driving force behind the Met’s move to its new home at Lincoln Center...

Chagall and His Murals
When planning the Met’s inaugural season at Lincoln Center, General Manager Rudolf Bing commissioned Marc Chagall to design the sets and costumes for a new production of Mozart’s Die Zauberflöte, directed by Günther Rennert...

Park Premiere
For more than 50 years, the Met has offered free performances in parks throughout New York City during the summer months. The very first company performance in Central Park took place as part of the Met’s inaugural Lincoln Center season...

Share Your Memory
Share your personal Met memory from 50 years at Lincoln Center!
My mother sang more than 450 performances at the Met while I was between the ages of zero and 18. As a result, I grew up backstage. One of the dressers, Arlene, crocheted outfits for my Cabbage Patch kids while my mother sang Flora in La Traviata or Annio in Clemenza di Tito. The legendary makeup artist Victor patted foundation on my young cheeks, and showed me how to show off my cheekbones. If certain stage managers were on, they might let me enter the stage area with my mother, through imposing double doors from the hall outside of the dressing rooms into the wing area of the stage. I actually did get to go on the stage myself, though, as a member of Elena Doria’s children’s chorus. Eating bagels in the second act of Zeffirelli’s La Bohème and ice cream during Pagliacci are some of my favorite memories. I love every bit of the Met, from the marble peeking out from the sides of the red carpeted staircase (I used to challenge myself to only walk on the white!) to the grand tier balcony where my husband asked me to marry him.
Neylan McBaine (Salt Lake City, UT)
Heard my first Saturday broadcast at about 12 years old, now I am 77 and subscribe to Sirius XM for the historic broadcasts. I knew Leonard Bernstein; he was a wonderful, gifted human being, then Milton cross passed, I sent a small contribution in his memory, his niece sent me a handwritten thank you note.
Thomas Nawn (Fredericksburg, VA)
Two memories from last season: Hearing Dmitri Hvorostovsky as Countbdi Luna singing Il balen del duo sorriso; it was absolutely heart stopping! Witnessing a Met stagehand racing up to the Family Circle and doing an amazing job fixing a broken seat in front of me right before the curtain went up.


http://www.metopera.org/Discover/50th-Anniversary/

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario